Babies are the cutest! They have chubby cheeks, gummy smiles and the smell, oh the smell! Be still my ovaries! However, they don't pop out hard-wired to sleep through the night, which is unfortunate. They wake-up when their little bellies are empty and they need sustanance to continue sleeping. Some babies never sleep through the night (sad day). But what about mom? We wake-up with the baby because, well, see first paragraph and we don't want DFS called on us; but the thought process of a mom in the middle of the night can only be compared to that of a bouncy ball.
Thought 1: Crap! What time is it?
- The time, of course, doesn't actually matter. It sucks at 1 AM and 4 AM just the same.
Thought 2: Is it weird that I am slightly excited to see the baby?
- I do my best not to chat with any of the tiny people living in my house in the middle of the night as I want everyone back in to bed as soon as possible. However, I have a feeling that my eyes are saying "I am not actually sad to see you because you're so adorable!"
Thought 3: Ugh, do I really have to change her diaper? It's so much work.
- Obviously we do this anyway, everyone sleeps better with a fresh bum!
Thought 4: Child, will you ever be done eating?
- Some feedings are quick and it's no big deal. Some seem to drag on and on forever as I try to keep a warm snuggly baby awake to finish their ONE job.
Thought 5: Damn! She's sleeping but I haven't burped her yet!
- This may not be vital forever, but I have found that if my baby falls asleep after eating, and I don't burp her, she ends up waking up the moment I put her back in bed and spitting up. Everywhere. It's really a lose-lose situation.
Thought 6: And now she's awake, bring on the bounce.
- After a burp and a snug reswaddle, baby girl and I walk the halls so that she can drift off to my natural bouncing. At least I'm getting steps right? Oh crap, where's my Fitbit?
Thought 7: Ok, she's asleep just enough to allow me to sit down and rock her.
- And then I sit down, and her eyes pop open. Back to the bounce! Finally we are able to rock and that's when...
Thought 8: Shoot! I keep dropping my phone! Am I sleeping?
- Ok, I do everything to make sure I stay awake during night feedings but I can't control the drifting! When I start to noticed that I am drifting off, I go ahead and try to put the baby back to bed, finally.
Thought 9: Wait! I'm not tired! I can just hold her.
- But seriously, is there anything more precious than a sleeping baby?
Thought 10: Transfer...Success!
- That moment when you transfer a baby from your arms in to their bed and they STAY asleep can only be compared to the feeling Olympic champions must feel. Victory!
Thought 11: There's a zero percent chance I will be able to go back to sleep now. I have already been up for an hour!